Quote Wall

Posted by Dan Hanes | October 21, 2015 | Culture

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.”
—Mike Tyson

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.”
—Mahatma Gandhi

We read best what we read most.”
—Zuzana Licko

The Arena District is 98% brick and the other 2% is our Mistake.”

Always a Groom, never a Bride.”
—Studio member

There is no Limit to the Amount of Money I’m willing to make.”

Words Cannot describe How much I hate this design”

I did not think it was possible, but you have made this worse.”

I would rather my kid Say ‘Fuck’ than ‘Free’.”

You are given thousand of opportunities to keep your mouth shut through out the day. Opportunities you should not waste. ”

Get Your Shit in a sock.”

Don’t Believe everything you find on the Onlines.”
—Abraham Lincoln

How in the hell could a man enjoy being awakened at 8:30 a.m. by an alarm clock, leap out of bed, dress, force-feed, shit, piss, brush teeth and hair, and fight traffic to get to a place where essentially you made lots of money for somebody else and were asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so?”
—Charles Bukowski

Always design a thing by considering it in its next larger context – a chair in a room, a room in a house, a house in an environment, an environment in a city plan.”
—Eliel Saarinen


Dan Hanes Architect
About The Author

Dan Hanes - Architecture

Danial was born in Alaska to Midwesterners who were long on love but short on spelling ability. He grew up in many cities and Air force bases throughout the world. Right out of Architectural school he started working on many large, complex sports projects across the country including Chase Field, Miami Heat Arena, an Olympic Stadium in Atlanta, and Madison Square Garden. While this work was rewarding, all of the required travel meant he only saw his wife and two small children on weekends. Looking for a change that would allow more time with his family, an opportunity of a lifetime opened up. Nationwide was planning to develop a district around their newly designed Arena. Consequently he moved with his family to Columbus in 1999 and has since worked on many notable Columbus projects, including: Huntington Ballpark, The Scioto Mile, Nationwide Arena District, Northbank and Parks Edge condominiums. Danial has also been involved in the local design community as a guest Critic for the Knowlton School Architecture and served as a board member for the Center for Architecture and Design.

Related Stories

Arena District
Final pieces falling into place for Arena District, 20 years later

It was 20 years ago that Nationwide Arena opened at the corner of Nationwide Boulevard and Front Street as the home of the National Hockey League expansion team the Columbus Blue Jackets. Architect Dan Hanes describes the area pre-arena as “basically parking lots, with a few small buildings here and there.” Hanes’ firm at the time, Heinlein Schrock out of Kansas City, partnered with NBBJ on the arena’s design, and Hanes set up shop in Columbus to help Nationwide Realty with offices, condominiums and apartments. The 200-acre district now stretches to I-670 on the north, the Olentangy River on the west, North High Street on the east and West Spring Street to the south. Parks Edge and the Chipotle building will continue a design tradition that emphasizes brick facades with a striking incorporation of glass.


The tale tale of how we got the company truck.

Kitchen Renovation
A Rental to Renovation

Taking our work home with us in the most literal sense. Stephanie shares her own experience renovating her home.